Hundreds of documents containing previously unpublished secrets about Osama bin Laden’s life and interests have been released by the US government officials. The documents were collected from a “treasure trove” of materials seized from bin Laden’s compound in Abottabad, Pakistan, during the 2011 raid that left bin Laden dead.
The documents include letters, e-books, announcements, articles, maps, and other snippets of information that form a detailed and unexpected collage. Here is a list of the most interesting ones:
- Dozens of books in a digital library: Bin Laden had vast and varied taste in books. Naming a few : “A Brief Guide to Understanding Islam” by I.A. Ibrahim “Al-Qaed’as Online Media Strategies: From Abu Reuter to Irhabi 007” by Hanna Rogan “Bloodlines of the Illuminati” by Fritz Springmeier “Handbook of International Law” by Anthony Aust “Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies” by Noam Chomsky “The Taking of America 1-2-3” by Richard Spragu
- Big interest in France: The articles and materials had titles like “Did France cause the Great Depression?” and “Lessons in Restructuring the Defense Industry, the French experience.” Other documents were more informational, like profiles of France’s economy and a list of French shipping companies
- Emotional about his son: He preserved a letter sent by his son Hamza that stated”My heart is sad from the long separation, yearning to meet with you” “My eyes still remember the last time I saw you when you were under the olive tree and you gave each one of us Muslim prayer beads.” “I wished to be beside you, to have your exquisite character impressed upon me”
Hamzah also shared news of his family life: “Praise God, I live a stable life, and God has blessed me with a pious wife, and she has blessed me with a son who I gave your name, Usamah, and a daughter who I named after the mother, Khayriyah.”
- Joining al Qaeda was like a job interview: They also found the dump of an application sheet for al Qaeda members. “What objectives would [you like] to accomplish on your jihad path?” “How long do you plan to stay in the jihad theater?” “What is your favorite material: Science or literature?” “Do you wish to execute a suicide operation?” “Any hobbies or pasttimes?”
- Found merit in threatening media: Some statements said, “Mentioning this will serve us in spreading fear among the Media personalities believing publishing them, means targeting them. If the Media is afraid, the barrier between the truth and the people is broken.”
Quite engrossing! This sneak-peek into a terrorist’s life gives a closer angle to his life and its different shades.