On 25th Feb, Railway minister Suresh Prabhu presented the Rail Budget for year 2016 in the Lok Sabha, unveiled pillars of strategy that would reflect the new thought process for the railways.
Here are some of the notable features with passenger-friendly measures announced by Prabhu in Rail Budget 2016:
- Railways to provide online booking of retiring rooms
- WiFi facilities for people at 100 more stations this year and 400 stations next year
- 17,000 additional bio-toilets to be provided by the end of current fiscal
- 20,000 display screens across 2,000 station for better distribution of info to passengers
- Ticket cancellation via phone calls will be provided
- GPS-based displays will be provided inside coaches, “rail speed network” to provide real time information.
- Through ‘Clean My Coach’ services, passengers can request for cleaning of toilets in their coaches through SMS
- Children’s menu, baby foods, baby boards etc. to be made available for traveling mothers
- Sub-quota of 33 percent in for women in each reserved category
- Railways to provide All-India 24X7 helpline for women
- CCTV surveillance to be installed on all stations
- Dustbins to be provided in all the non-AC coaches
- Proposal to be invited from FM radio stations to provide train-borne entertainment via PA systems
- Fully unreserved trains to be operated on high-density corridors
- Overnight ‘Uday’ double-Decker trains will be launched soon
- ‘Antyodaya Express’ long-distance super-fast train for unreserved passengers.
- ‘Aastha’ circuit trains to connect notable pilgrim centers.
- Two elevated tracks envisaged from ‘Churchgate‘ and CST on Mumbai’s suburban railway system
- Enhanced capacity of e-ticketing system from 2000 tickets per minute to 7,200 tickets per minute
- Railways are expecting the capital expenditure of Rs.1.21 lac crore
- Also aiming to achieve operation ratio of 92 percent
Source : TOI