On Tuesday 19 January 2016, former world number one, Rafael Nadal, was left shaking his head at the Australian Open after he suffered his second first-round exit at a Grand Slam championship.
Spain’s left hander Fernando Verdasco, eliminated Nadal 7-6(6) 4-6 3-6 7-6(4) 6-2 in the first round of a Grand Slam tournament at Melbourne Park, sealing the four hour and 41-minute classic with a cross-court winner that left the crowd stunned and amazed in the late day session.
In 2009 , Nadal won his only Australian title after overcoming Spaniard and left-hander in a 5-hour, 14-minute semifinal, a match that still ranks among one of the classics at Melbourne Park.
After the loss Nadal said felt competitive and couldn’t explain the loss after so much practice:
“In terms of being competitive, I was competitive,”
“In terms of creating damage to the opponent with my forehand, I didn’t. So I was hitting forehands, and he was able to keep hitting winners. [It] cannot happen when I am hitting my forehand… That was the biggest issue for me today”
“The match is a tough one to lose for me obviously,” said Nadal. “It’s not like last year, when I arrived here playing bad and not feeling ready for it. This year was a completely different story. I have been playing and practising great and working so much. It is tough when you work so much and arrived at a very important event and you’re going out too early.”
“I know I did everything that I could to be ready for it. It was not my day. There is no more things to do other than keep practising hard and keep practising the same way that I have been doing for the past four, five months.”
Source : ATP